Sunday, August 21, 2005

Cygwin tips

One feature that I could not live without when developing on Windows is the "Open Command Window Here" Windows Explorer context menu. I also use Cygwin a lot when developing on Windows and wanted this same functionality for opening a Cygwin window.

I found this blog entry discussing how this can be done. I ended up tweaking this solution a bit so that I could open the rxvt terminal window rather than the bash shell in a DOS window. Here's what I came up with:

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\bash]
@="Open Bash Shell Here"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\bash\command]
@="c:\\cygwin\\bin\\rxvt.exe -e bash --login -I -c 'cd \"`cygpath \"$*\"`\";bash' bash %L"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Drive\shell\bash]
@="Open Bash Shell Here"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Drive\shell\bash\command]
@="c:\\cygwin\\bin\\rxvt.exe -e bash --login -I -c 'cd \"`cygpath \"$*\"`\";bash' bash %L"

You will need to copy and paste this to a .reg file and import it into your Window's registry. You also need the rxvt package for Cygwin.

Another Cygwin tip I came across the other day that is useful for Ant users is adding the following line to your .bash_rc file:
export ANT_ARGS='-logger org.apache.tools.ant.listener.AnsiColorLogger'

This will add color to the output from Ant running in terminals that support ANSI color codes.

4 Comments:

Blogger fatima76rafael said...

damn good blog, check out mine http://juicyfruiter.blogspot.com, comments always welcome!

August 24, 2005 at 12:00 AM  
Blogger 性爱 said...

I am totally nude come see me. Take a bit for all pics and movies to load.

Why do I do this I like to make men blow their jiz in their pants.

Visit me.激情

October 30, 2005 at 11:48 AM  
Blogger Antonio Hicks said...

i was just browsing through the blog world searching for the keyword posters and it brought me to your site. You have a great site however it is not exactly what i was looking for. Good luck on your site. sincerely, antonio.

November 16, 2005 at 6:55 AM  
Blogger Shuva Brata said...

This is a really cool tip. Must implement for me. I also had recently written about the power of Cygwin in my blog. I hope you dont mind me including a link into your blog.

(http://blog.netotto.com/)

September 3, 2007 at 8:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home